[GSoC] About the idea: Unicode support in vi

Johan van Selst johans at stack.nl
Fri Mar 25 09:40:50 UTC 2011

Zhihao Yuan wrote:
> > Could you please eleborate on the nvi-devel problems? I'm the current
> > maintainer of this port, and as far as I know it's fully functional.
> 1. It does not support non-Unicode encodings. Actually, these
> encodings are mainstream in multi-byte encodings world. A proper
> iconv-awared implementation should be able to handle all of the
> encodings in `iconv -l`;
> 2. It depends on DB3/4. We won't accept DB3/4 in base system and we
> won't accept nvi-devel.
> 3. It's not 100% compatible with nvi 1.79.

Thank you for explaining. Indeed, all valid points and I fully agree
that nvi-devel is not fit for inclusion in base as it is. In fact, the
nvi from base is probably a better starting point (than nvi-devel) to
create an editor that is fully compatible with nvi 1.79 and supports all
multi-byte encodings. And when you, or someone, else creates such an
editor, I will be pleased to remove the obsoleted port of nvi-devel.

Johan