[GSoC] About the idea: Unicode support in vi

Johan van Selst johans at stack.nl
Thu Mar 24 22:18:04 UTC 2011

Zhihao Yuan wrote:
> 2. nvi does not use iconv, nvi-m17n only supports limited non-Unicode
> mbyte encodings, nvi-devel has too many problems. So we don't have a
> nvi which comes with fully mbyte enconding support;

Could you please eleborate on the nvi-devel problems? I'm the current
maintainer of this port, and as far as I know it's fully functional.
nvi-devel does have proper UTF-8 support via libiconv. It is based on
the nvi version we currently have in base and much of the code base is
still identical.

Johan