Mem leak : malloc/free + pthreads = leakage?

Eric Anderson anderson at ttel.com
Sat Mar 5 04:26:14 UTC 2011

Hi all,

I have a moderately threaded userland program (all C) I am working on (using pthreads, freebsd 8.1 64bit).  It seems to leak memory (using standard malloc/free) badly.  I am using pcap to capture packets and process them. I have a handful of libs statically linked in (pcap is one, the rest don't seem to matter - I can remove them and still see the leak).

Does anyone know of issues regarding malloc/free on multithreaded userland apps?

Sorry, I can't post the code..

Thanks!
Eric