listing all modules compiled into a kernel instance

Carl k0802647 at telus.net
Tue Mar 1 05:41:01 UTC 2011

Kernel drivers can be (and in at least one case are) compiled into the
kernel but are not reported when queried for, at least not in a way that
I am aware of. For example, the ucom driver is present in the GENERIC
kernel in this way. My expectation was that "kldstat -v" would list it,
if present, but it does not. A design flaw?

# ls /boot/kernel/ucom.ko
/boot/kernel/ucom.ko
# grep ucom /usr/src/sys/i386/conf/GENERIC
# kldstat -v | grep ucom
# kldload ucom.ko
# tail -n 1 /var/log/messages
Feb 28 18:18:15 xxxxxx kernel: interface ucom.1 already present in the
KLD 'kernel'!

How does one query an existing kernel for *all* compiled-in modules?

I'm using FreeBSD-8.1-RELEASE-amd64/i386.

Carl                                                   / K0802647