kexec or similar for FreeBSD

Russell Cattelan cattelan at thebarn.com
Thu Jun 16 18:46:47 UTC 2011

I have been contacted about possibly implementing a fast reboot
mechanism for FreeBSD similar to kexec on Linux.

I have just started looking into how this accomplished so I figured
a note to freebsd hackers would also be a good place to ask
for comments.

Has anybody looked at doing something like kexec?

Is it the right thing to do for FreeBSD.  I'm concerned that the way
FreeBSD handles early kernel modules (loaded via the boot loader)
vs linux which does everything via initrd is going to be a problem.

Thanks for any help on this.

-Russell Cattelan