Issue with 'Unknown Error: -512'

Brandon Falk falkman at gamozo.org
Tue Jul 19 15:31:32 UTC 2011

On 7/19/2011 5:14 AM, Dimitry Andric wrote:
> On 2011-07-18 16:53, Brandon Falk wrote:
>> In recent branches (confirmed with 224119) builds compiled with clang
>> happen to throw 'Unknown error: -512' in a lot of places, making the
>> system unusable. (Untested on gcc compiled systems).
>
> I have never seen this, neither with clang-compiled nor gcc-compiled
> systems.  Can you please verify if it still occurs if you build your
> system with gcc?  If you don't want (or can) rebuild the whole system,
> you can try to rebuild just your kernel with gcc, and see if the
> problems disappear.
>

>> Originally I
>> thought the problem was with specific programs, then I narrowed it down
>> to file I/O, and now I've narrowed it down to open() with O_TRUNC.
>> Without O_TRUNC there seems to be no issues whatsoever. With O_TRUNC on
>> open() it fails with that 'Unknown error: -512' every other time you run
>> the program. Common issues, portsnap is affected, making it impossible
>> to fetch/extract ports. As well as redirecting output in shells eg `echo
>> 'hi'>  test` fails every other try. You have the same issue with text
>> editors like `edit` where it fails every other save. There are no issues
>> with `echo 'hi'>>  test` as there is no O_TRUNC, it only seems to be an
>> O_TRUNC error.
>
> I have been running clang-compiled systems for a long time now, and have
> never seen this.  It works fine here, I cannot reproduce any of your
> examples.
>
> Do you build with any special settings in make.conf or src.conf,
> particularly modified CFLAGS or COPTFLAGS?  What is your architecture,
> i386 or amd64?  Any other non-standard configuration or environment
> settings?

Dimitry,

I will try to build with gcc sometime today. I might as well try out a
different filesystem too.

I have no special settings besides CPUTYPE?=native, but there was
someone with a similar error who did not specify a cpu type when
building, so I know that isn't a problem. Arch is amd64, no other
nonstandard configuration.

-Brandon Falk