Issue with 'Unknown Error: -512'

Brandon Falk falkman at gamozo.org
Mon Jul 18 14:52:57 UTC 2011

Hello,

In recent branches (confirmed with 224119) builds compiled with clang
happen to throw 'Unknown error: -512' in a lot of places, making the
system unusable. (Untested on gcc compiled systems). Originally I
thought the problem was with specific programs, then I narrowed it down
to file I/O, and now I've narrowed it down to open() with O_TRUNC.
Without O_TRUNC there seems to be no issues whatsoever. With O_TRUNC on
open() it fails with that 'Unknown error: -512' every other time you run
the program. Common issues, portsnap is affected, making it impossible
to fetch/extract ports. As well as redirecting output in shells eg `echo
'hi' > test` fails every other try. You have the same issue with text
editors like `edit` where it fails every other save. There are no issues
with `echo 'hi' >> test` as there is no O_TRUNC, it only seems to be an
O_TRUNC error.

Any tips? Otherwise I'll be looking into this today myself.

-Brandon Falk