NVIDIA (port) driver fails to create /dev/nvidactl; 8.2Prerelease

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Sun Jan 30 18:37:15 UTC 2011

On 01/29/2011 18:00, Duane H. Hesser wrote:
> I realize that questions such as 'have you kldloaded..."
> are asked in a helpful spirit, and I don't expect you to be unduly
> impressed by my resume, but perhaps you will understand if I find
> such questions mildly insulting...

No, I don't understand that at all. If you've read the lists as often as
you claim to you'd know a few things:

1. These problems usually ARE something simple, and if the OP doesn't
cover the simple bases, those questions will be asked.

2. The nvidia driver is quite popular, so a widespread failure of the
driver on a -stable branch would have gotten a lot of notice.

3. The right list to post your report to is freebsd-stable@, not -hackers.

Now please understand, I am not *intending* to be insulting, and as
someone who has struggled with the nvidia driver myself I'd like to see
you get your problem resolved.

In any case, good luck.

Doug

			-- OK Go