NVIDIA (port) driver fails to create /dev/nvidactl; 8.2Prerelease

Duane H. Hesser dhesser at accima.com
Sat Jan 29 20:35:32 UTC 2011

On Sat, 29 Jan 2011 07:49:24 +0100
rank1seeker at gmail.com wrote:

> echo 'debug.acpi.disabled="sysres"' >> /boot/loader.conf
>
> # reboot

I added the above sysctl to loader.conf and rebooted. No
change, but that is likely because no such sysctl exists
in the stable kernel.  Are you running current?

# sysctl debug.acpi
debug.acpi.suspend_bounce: 0
debug.acpi.reset_clock: 1
debug.acpi.do_powerstate: 1
debug.acpi.interpreter_slack: 1
debug.acpi.enable_debug_objects: 0
debug.acpi.acpi_ca_version: 20101013
debug.acpi.ec.timeout: 750
debug.acpi.ec.polled: 0
debug.acpi.ec.burst: 0
debug.acpi.batt.batt_sleep_ms: 0
debug.acpi.resume_beep: 0

Please let me take this opportunity to explain something
(too everyone on this list who is willing to read it).
My original post was not a plea for help.  I appreciate
the posts which have offered possible "tuning" items to
resolve the problem, but my position is this:

There is a significant regression in current stable sources
which prevent the nvidia-driver port from initializing due
to the absence of the /dev/nvidactl device.  This is *probably*
due to another bug in 'devfs'.

I was willing to consider that I might have missed something in
installing the port, but that is very unlikely...I've been doing
this for a long time.  I offered the opportunity for someone
running a recent version of stable to report that they were
running the nvidia-driver just fine, but that hasn't happened
yet.  Apparently it is working on current.  It is NOT working
on stable.

I have examined the nvidia-driver port sources, and consider it
unlikely that the problem is there (but again, ..could be wrong).

Thanks again to those who have offered suggestions, but I submit
that if a simple sysctl or the selection of port options determines
whether device nodes are available, then 'things' have become far
too complex.
--
Duane H. Hesser <dhesser at accima.com>