Question about sysctl-ing coretemp module values

Harald Servat redcrash at gmail.com
Sat Jan 15 20:38:04 UTC 2011

Hello,

  First of all, forgive if this is not the appropiate list to ask this.
Could you point me the correct list if so?

  I'm writing a small program to capture the temperature reported by the
coretemp kernel module. I'm doing this by using the sysctl API. However, I'm
facing a problem when reading that value (dev.cpu.0.temperature, for
example).

  man 3 sysctl has an example (labeled as "To retrieve the standard search
path for the system utilities:") which seems great to me to know the length
of the OID it wants to read before running the "real" sysctl. I wrote a
similar example (attached) based on that, but it does not work appropiately.
The 1st call tells me that len = 4 (whereas the value for
dev.cpu.0.temperature is "37.0C" which should be 5 if \0 is not counted).

  Can anyone shed some light on what I'm doing wrong?

Thank you very much!