NFS: file too large

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Fri Jan 14 04:55:50 UTC 2011

:Try editting line #1226 of sys/nfsclient/nfs_vfsops.c, where
:it sets nm_maxfilesize = (u_int64_t)0x80000000 * DEV_BSIZE - 1; and make it
:something larger.
:
:I have no idea why the limit is set that way? (I'm guessing it was the
:limit for UFS.) Hopefully not some weird buffer cache restriction or
:similar, but you'll find out when you try increasing it.:-)

    This is a throwback to when the buffer cache used 32 bit block numbers,
    hence 0x7FFFFFFF was the maximum 'safe' block number multiplied by
    the lowest supported block size (DEV_BSIZE), that could be handled by
    the buffer cache.

    That limit is completely irrelevant now and should probably be set to
    0x7FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFLLU (since seek offsets are signed).

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon at backplane.com>