quotas an essential feature? (was: svn commit: r218953 - stable/8/usr.sbin/sysinstall)

Matthew Jacob mj at feral.com
Fri Feb 25 19:26:30 UTC 2011

Actually, GENERIC is there to provide the most features for the most
uses. A large percentage of users don't config new kernels, and FreeBSD
has not elected the approach Digital Unix (aka "DUH") took about
installs which required a reconfig as one of the last steps of an
installation.

I can't speak to your "required to boot" case- not sure what you're
referring to. I also have been sometimes unhappy about things that can't
be added for booting, but that's really more of a "need a driver disk or
options disk" kind of case that was more during the FreeBSD delivered on
floppy which is long ago and far away and a country now pushing up daisies.