svn commit: r218953 - stable/8/usr.sbin/sysinstall

Ben Kaduk minimarmot at gmail.com
Tue Feb 22 18:33:26 UTC 2011

[replying to the MFC that triggered the connection]

On Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 12:38 PM, Bruce Cran <brucec at freebsd.org> wrote:
> Author: brucec
> Date: Tue Feb 22 17:38:43 2011
> New Revision: 218953
>
> Log:
>  MFC r218840:
>
>  Remove the quotas option from the Startup Services menu.
>  GENERIC has no support for quotas so this option has no effect.

Do you know why GENERIC does not have quota support enabled?  I note
that the Debian/kFreeBSD folk have enabled quota support for the
kernel they ship:

In that report, emaste@ is quoted as saying:
> If you mean "kFreeBSD should ship with a quota-enabled kernel" then I'd
> say go for it.  The reason we don't have it on in upstream FreeBSD is
> largely historical; enabling quotas used to require additional locking
> that caused performance and other issues.  The additional locking is now
> not required, and it's just that nobody has stepped in to turn them on.

If you believe everything you read on the internet, "In order to
achieve a modern operating system, the quota support should be active
by default, not achieved only after compilation of a custom kernel."

Is there more to "stepping in and turning them on" than just the
one-line change?

-Ben Kaduk