Can vm_mmap()/vm_map_remove() be called with giant held? (linuxolator dvb patches)

Tue Feb 22 12:51:06 UTC 2011

Quoting Juergen Lock <nox at jelal.kn-bremen.de> (from Tue, 22 Feb 2011
12:37:53 +0100):

> On Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 09:26:41AM +0100, Alexander Leidinger wrote:
>> Quoting Juergen Lock <nox at jelal.kn-bremen.de> (from Mon, 21 Feb 2011
>> 19:36:11 +0100):
>>
>> >  And here comes the patch for head:
>>
>> linux_dvb.h is still GPLed (not taking into account that there are
>> voices which tell that interface descriptions are not copyrightable or
>> something like this). As already told this is a no-go, the linuxulator
>> is BSD licensed.
>
> Right I should have mentioned your concerns.  (I said it wouldn't
> really matter since the linuxolator already is a kld and the header

LThe lnuxulator can be included into the kernel (think about an
embedded system where the vendor does not want to give the source).

The authors of the v4l and v4l2 headers where contacted to get their
OK to license the headers within the BSDL (and we got their
permission), and I make the suggestion again that you do the same for
the dvb header parts you took.

If you do not get their OK, my next suggestion is to talk to core
about it (if the LGPLed code gets committed without a note that core
is OK, I will make a call to core anyway (I will not ask to back it
out, it's up to core then to ask for a backout or not), so it may be
better to ask before committing).

> file from which I took the definitions is LGPL'd not GPL'd [1], to
> which I didn't see an answer.)

IMO the first L does not matter if the rest contains GPL.

I'm really happy that you take the time to take care about DVB
compatibility, and I would like to see the code in FreeBSD, but the
linuxulator is (L)GPL free and changing this is a step backward.

Bye,
Alexander.

--
In Newark the laundromats are open 24 hours a day!