man 3 getopt char * const argv[] - is const wrong ?

Matthias Andree matthias.andree at gmx.de
Mon Feb 14 13:27:00 UTC 2011

Am 14.02.2011 03:41, schrieb Julian H. Stacey:

>> Well, instead of ranting,
>
> An inadvisable epithet !
>
> Maybe you never had the luxury of working when one could buy a slim
> K&R,&  it was all one needed.  Now ISO sell standards, Not all free
> download.  For C I've only found enormous PDFs. Some downloads may
> not be newest&/or might need logins or license or payment.  Apache.org
> set a better example of free unobstructed hypertexted access to all
> versions of eg http.conf etc.

Where have you been living the past two decades?  It's been a not so
recent development that small language cores (C, Java) are accompanied
by humongous amounts of documentation for standard libraries...

I understand the concerns about licensing, yet I see standards as
reference material, and the SUS is available free of charge, that's
about as much as I care for the current discussion.

Take the political parts up with the respective entities and/or possibly
the FreeBSD foundation.

> Using Unix&  C since '77,&  '82, I 'appreciate' C is a heavily
> evolved = bent language.  Const as case in point: FreeBSD getopt
> seems to conflict with K&R#2 so ...

If K&R #2 is supposed to be Kernighan & Ritchie, The C Programming
language, 2nd edition, then getopt() isn't even in my printed book's index.

> It would be nice to download a new C standard for reference.  Is

Yes.

> the newest definition of C free public access ? Is there a URL

I never bothered to check.  Check the final drafts that are getting
voted "becomes standard yes/no" on, they are usually free.

--
Matthias Andree