setsid not found on freebsd

Mike Meyer mwm at mired.org
Mon Feb 14 09:58:32 UTC 2011

On Mon, 14 Feb 2011 14:39:28 +0530
Ashish Mahamuni <mahamuni.ashish at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the reply !!
>
> Garrett,
> Its a command available in Linux distros.

Yup. The linux folks seem to have gone on a campaign to make many
syscalls available as shell commands - this being one of them.

> Peter,
> I am not able to find "util-linux-ng" under my ports.

Given that that's a linux package name, this isn't surprising. And if
you did find such a package, there's a fair chance it would depend on
the linux emulation software.

Running a command in a new session has a number of implications, and
without knowing exactly which of those are important for your
application, it's hard to say exactly what you might do to get the
desired result.

> Anyways, I have found something called "detach", which eventually worked for
> me.

Glad you found something that works. Knowing that, I'd recommend
trying the "daemon" command, as it's in the base instead of ports -
if that matters to you.

   <mike
Independent Software developer/SCM consultant, email for more information.