memstick.img is bloated with 7% 2K blocks of nulls

Daniel O'Connor doconnor at gsoft.com.au
Sun Feb 13 00:54:19 UTC 2011

On 13/02/2011, at 8:45, Warren Block wrote:
> On Sat, 12 Feb 2011, Tim Kientzle wrote:
>> Alternatively, of course, is there any way to use
>> isofs instead of ufs for memstick.img?
>
> Devin Teske's DruidBSD (http://druidbsd.sourceforge.net/) uses the same image for CD, hard disk, or memstick.  I don't know the technical details.  (VirtualBox didn't like it, but maybe it's a trivial fix.)

I would guess it uses ISOLinux plus some voodoo hackery the same as various Linux distros which do the same trick.

For work I have made a FAT32 USB stick which uses syslinux to load an MFS containing the loader & kernel and sysinstall then reads the install files off FAT32. I did it this way so that people using it could edit the configuration file without needing a BSD box handy.

In theory the loader can read off FAT32 so the kernel could go onto the flash drive too, however I couldn't get it to work :(

are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum