CFR: FEATURE macros for AUDIT/CAM/IPC/KTR/MAC/NFS/NTP/PMC/SYSV/...

Ilya Bakulin webmaster at kibab.com
Fri Feb 11 17:03:50 UTC 2011

 On 11.02.2011 14:54, Alexander Leidinger wrote:
> As a 3rd point (attention bikeshed ahead), having everything as a
> FEATURE would give an uniform way of listing what is available or not
> (with the benefit to administratively hide parts of it). Needless to
> say that this would reduce the amount of knowledge and code to
> determine if something is available (as a person who works in a
> production environement with mixed knowledge levels of the people and
> who has to analyse problems which are sometimes caused by lack of
> knowledge of the people which implemented something, I welcome
> everything which lowers the learning curve and complexity).
When I was beginning this GSoC work, I primarily thought about unifying
the way to determine if particular feature exists in the kernel. Of
course there should be at least one way to check if the feature is
available or not (by definition: if I may use some functionality, than
feature is present, otherwise... Oh, no, may be I have no permissions to
use it? or something is terribly wrong with system confuguration?
Or?...), but it is better to have a sort of unified way to get this
information without looking for files in /dev, parsing `kldstat -v`, etc.

--
Regards,
Ilya Bakulin