WIOV '11 Call for Papers Now Available

Lionel Garth Jones lgj at usenix.org
Fri Feb 11 00:28:10 UTC 2011

The Program Committee for the 3rd Workshop on I/O Virtualization (WIOV
'11) invites you to contribute your work.

Virtualization technology has grown beyond server systems to include
desktops, notebooks, and even mobile devices. The rich settings in which
virtualized systems are used range from cloud computing infrastructures
requiring access to high-end I/O devices like GPUs and networks to the
many devices present in embedded and mobile systems. Consequent
requirements imposed on I/O include the need for extreme-scale
performance in high performance or low latency systems; fairness in
device sharing in cloud and server systems, which includes online
methods for understanding the I/O behavior of applications; trusted I/O
both for cloud and for mobile systems; and low overhead and reliable
device access in the mobile or embedded domains.

While I/O systems have a long history of using abstraction to shield
applications from the intricacies of devices and storage systems, this
workshop's focus is on the interplay of I/O with virtualization and
cloud technologies. Our goal is to provide a forum to discuss the impact
and challenges of I/O virtualization along multiple dimensions,
including: the application domains in which virtualized solutions are
used and the subsystems involved; platform or hardware support for I/O
virtualization; the virtual machine monitor; the guest operating system;
the processor, GPU, memory, and I/O subsystems. Also of interest are
higher-level virtualization solutions, such as those concerning API
virtualization, new virtual I/O APIs like those used for cloud storage,
and innovative approaches to device virtualization in cloud computing
and in the mobile domain.

Topics of interest include but are not limited to:

* Hardware support for I/O virtualization
* Novel I/O device architectures for virtualization
* New software approaches to I/O virtualization
* Hardware and software methods for I/O device emulation
* Para-virtualized I/O device driver design for virtualization
* Virtual machine monitors' support for I/O
* Security and trust considerations for virtualized I/O, including hardware support
* Energy-efficient I/O virtualization
* Virtualized I/O in the cloud: API virtualization, challenges of
large-scale I/O (performance, availability)
* Virtualization mechanisms for datacenter networking
* I/O monitoring and black box methods or system support for such functions

Paper submissions are due Monday, March 21, 2011, at 11:59 p.m. PST.
Submissions guidelines and more information can be a found at
http://www.usenix.org/wiov11/cfpa

WIOV '11 will be part of USENIX Federated Conferences Week, which will
take place June 12-17, 2011, in Portland, OR.

We look forward to receiving your submissions!

On behalf of the WIOV '11 Program Committee,

Sanjay Kumar, Intel Labs
Himanshu Raj, Microsoft Research
Karsten Schwan, Georgia Institute of Technology
WIOV '11 Program Co-Chairs
wiov11chairs at usenix.org

WIOV '11 Call for Papers
3rd Workshop on I/O Virtualization (WIOV '11)
June 14, 2011, Portland, OR
Part of USENIX Federated Conferences Week, June 12-17, 2011
http://www.usenix.org/wiov11/cfpa
Submission deadline: March 21, 2011, 11:59 p.m. PST