Subversion upgrades of existing dirs

Sean Bruno seanbru at yahoo-inc.com
Thu Dec 22 19:31:23 UTC 2011

On Thu, 2011-12-22 at 09:56 -0800, Jason Hellenthal wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 22, 2011 at 09:33:45AM -0800, Sean Bruno wrote:
> > How do I upgrade an existing svn tree with the current svn client.  I
> > don't really get what the client is trying to tell me here.
> >
> > [sbruno at ref9-xen32 /dumpster/scratch/sbruno-scratch/9]$ svn up
> > svn: E155036: Please see the 'svn upgrade' command
> > svn: E155036: Working copy '/dumpster/scratch/sbruno-scratch/9' is an
> > old development version (format 12); to upgrade it, use a format 18
> > client, then use 'tools/dev/wc-ng/bumpt
> >
> > [sbruno at ref9-xen32 /dumpster/scratch/sbruno-scratch/9]$ svn upgrade .
> > svn: E155019: Can't upgrade '/dumpster/scratch/sbruno-scratch/9' as it
> > is not a pre-1.7 working copy directory
> > svn: E150000: Missing default entry
> >

> seeing as this is a scratch location I wouldnt waste the time to figure it out and just recheck the sources out for 9 and move over whatever needed to function. I have found some instances of pre-checked out source unable to upgrade for whatever reason.
>
> 'tools/dev/wc-ng/bumpt' should be in the source tarball for SVN. Round about it is telling you to use a Subversion 1.8 client.

Yeah, I'm hoping that this doesn't impact users too much, but I think
people are going to run into this.  I have working directories that I
share amongst the cluster machines for building, upgrading, testing and
installing.  I'd like to not have to keep a fbsd9 tree for svn version
"x" and another fbsd9 tree for svn version "y"

I guess I should fire off a pr to ports/subversion then ...

Sean