mfi (Dell H700) + hot swapping doesn't appear to work with RC1

Hugo Silva hugo at barafranca.com
Thu Dec 15 15:29:13 UTC 2011

On 12/15/11 09:19, Jan Mikkelsen wrote:

> Hugo: You missed a step. Borja: No reboot required.
>
> For the mfi controllers I have been testing recently (MegaRAID 9261-8i), you need to install the sysutils/megacli port, and use that to clear the "foreignness" of the disk you just added. Something like:
>
>    MegaCli -CfgForeign -Clear -a0
>
> You should be able to then recreate it as a JBOD device, and progress through whatever higher level recovery you need to do.
>
> Regards,
>
> Jan Mikkelsen

Hello,

I tried that and got: There is no foreign configuration on controller 0.

Exit Code: 0x00

Presently one drive is failed, following a mfiutil fail 2.

Trying to bring it back with 'mfiutil good 2' results in:

mfiutil: Command failed: Wrong firmware or drive state
mfiutil: Failed to set drive 2 to UNCONFIGURED GOOD: Input/output error

mfi0 Volumes:
  Id     Size    Level   Stripe  State   Cache   Name
 mfid0 (  558G) RAID-0      64k OPTIMAL Disabled
 mfid1 (  558G) RAID-0      64k OPTIMAL Disabled
 mfid2 (  558G) RAID-0      64k OPTIMAL Disabled
 mfid3 (  558G) RAID-0      64k OPTIMAL Disabled
 mfid4 (  558G) RAID-0      64k OFFLINE Disabled
 mfid5 (  558G) RAID-0      64k OPTIMAL Disabled

As Borja said, part of the difficulty is the H700 abstracting a single
disk as a RAID-0, I guess. So far I've been unable to find a way to
bring the drive back, except by rebooting and recreating.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Hugo