mfi (Dell H700) + hot swapping doesn't appear to work with RC1

Hugo Silva hugo at barafranca.com
Wed Dec 14 13:21:33 UTC 2011

Hello,

First of all apologies if this has been fixed in RC3. I set this server
up with mfsbsd, which is RC1, and didn't get to update the system yet.

This box has 6 hdds, a 2-mirror zpool was set up as the root pool, with
2 spares.

While testing hot swapping I noticed that while the controller detects
disk removal/insertion, the zpool will never recover. The problem seems
to be deeper than ZFS, as disklabel/fdisk/etc also fail on the
removed-and-reinserted disk.

At the ZFS level, doing a zpool clear yields more errors on the removed
disk; rebooting becomes the only option to make the pool healthy again.

Is this normal? Did I miss any step?

Regards,

Hugo