USB Texas Instruments CDCE modem not recognized by cdce

Lorenzo Cogotti miciamail at hotmail.it
Thu Dec 8 13:23:18 UTC 2011

Dear all,

I am new to this list and to FreeBSD in general, so first of all hi
everyone and thank you for providing this awesome and rock solid OS.

I have a CDC compliant (at least this is what the manufacturer claims)
USB Modem, which doesn't get detected by cdce module.

/var/log/messages reports:
root: Unknown USB device: vendor 0x0451 product 0x6060 bus uhub0
kernel: ugen0.2: <Texas Instruments> at usbus0

usbconfig list reports:
ugen0.2: <Texas  Instruments CDC Ethernet/RNDIS Adapter Texas Instruments>  at usbus0, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=FULL (12Mbps) pwr=ON

I tested this with FreeBSD 8.2 and FreeBSD 9.0RC2, the situation doesn't
change.
I tested this modem on Linux, which is able to detect and properly use
this modem via USB with module: cdc_ether

I suspect that some trivial changes to cdce module would get this modem
up and running, but I am too newbie to do this on my own, so I thought
to ask this ML for help on this topic.

I took a look to cdce, on kernel sources included with FreeBSD 8.2
release, more precisely to:
dev/usb/net/if_cdce.c

I assume that a device specific entry to:
static const struct usb_device_id cdce_devs[]

would do the trick, wouldn't  it?

How should I edit this file in a sane way and test if this device get
recognized?
I tried some USB_VPI combinations adding the afore mentioned identifiers
from /var/log/messages, the device got recognized correctly by cdce, but
the dhclient command hanged as if the communication with the device
failed.
I am currently on a fresh, just installed, FreeBSD 8.2 AMD64 system.
Sorry if I missed to report some crucial information, if so, please let
me know.

Regards.

--
Lorenzo Cogotti