CPUTYPE and friends, from 'make.conf' benchmark

rank1seeker at gmail.com rank1seeker at gmail.com
Wed Dec 7 16:41:46 UTC 2011

> > Time is SAME as with generic binaries, but score is just a 1.2 higher,
> which is too small to be relevant.
> > What do you think about this?
> >

> I think this is why most people don't bother with setting CPUTYPE ;)
>
> Chris

DUH!
Why you didn't told me that right away. instead making me into "ALL THIS"!
Yes, yes, very funy! I'll remember this!
:P

> As usual, it very well *may* be true, but please use ministat(1) to
> confirm. This requires more than one test. I'm not trying to be
> difficult - but statistics and benchmarking is non-trivial.
>
> --
> Eitan Adler

I understand and have read your link about statistics and benchmarking ...
Yes, I agree. It is science for itself.

I've never heard for ministat(1) and will throw an eye on:

> A few other good suggestions:
>
> http://wiki.freebsd.org/BenchmarkAdvice
>
> - Max

I would like to ask a few questions, regarding setting up ENVIROMENT for benchmarking, regardless of what will be benched!
That is, point where benchmarking hasn't even started!

I see it should be SUM (single user mode), with enabled, only essential "things"
Should it be a regular or MD ROOT based SUM (FreeBSD running in RAM)

Domagoj Smolčić