CPUTYPE and friends, from 'make.conf' benchmark

rank1seeker at gmail.com rank1seeker at gmail.com
Tue Dec 6 17:03:48 UTC 2011

# /bin/sh -c "gcc -v -x c -E -mtune=native /dev/null -o /dev/null 2>&1 | grep mtune | sed -e 's/.*mtune=//'"
generic

For target machine, it returned 'generic'

Now only with CPUTYPE in 'make.conf':
--
CPUTYPE?=core2
--

> Also, you should set these in src.conf.  Sticking them in make.conf is
> going to annoy people when you ask why your ports are breaking ;)
>
> Chris

I want my ports, to also be optimized for target CPU, not just base.
None of my ports got broken yet.

Rebuilded can ...

Tests are started AFTER a reboot!
There is no bgfsck, as per rc.conf:
--
background_fsck=NO
fsck_y_enable=YES

Same multiuser enviroment
Test done once.

After running: '# time unixbench', final score was:
   395.4
Completed in 22.8 min

Time is SAME as with generic binaries, but score is just a 1.2 higher, which is too small to be relevant.
What do you think about this?

Domagoj Smolčić