"ps -e" without procfs(5)

Mikolaj Golub trociny at freebsd.org
Sun Dec 4 17:55:33 UTC 2011

On Sun, 4 Dec 2011 15:57:06 +0000 Robert N. M. Watson wrote:

 RNMW> On 4 Dec 2011, at 14:31, Jilles Tjoelker wrote:

 >> On Sat, Oct 29, 2011 at 01:32:39PM +0300, Mikolaj Golub wrote:
 >>> [KERN_PROC_AUXV requires just p_cansee()]
 >>
 >> If we are ever going to do ASLR, the AUXV information tells an attacker
 >> where the stack, executable and RTLD are located, which defeats much of
 >> the point of randomizing the addresses in the first place.
 >>
 >> Given that the AUXV information seems to be used by debuggers only
 >> anyway, I think it would be good to move it to p_candebug() now.
 >>
 >> The full virtual memory maps (KERN_PROC_VMMAP, procstat -v) are already
 >> under p_candebug().

 RNMW> Agreed. In general, my view is that p_cansee() should be used for very
 RNMW> few of our process inspection APIs. I like your example of ASLR
 RNMW> especially, as it illustrates how debugging information can aid even
 RNMW> local attacks (i.e., user vs. setuid binary).

Thanks! I will change it to p_candebug().

--
Mikolaj Golub