9-beta1 installer - partition editor

Brandon Falk falkman at gamozo.org
Tue Aug 30 15:05:44 UTC 2011

On 8/30/2011 8:27 AM, Ivan Voras wrote:
> Am I doing something wrong or the BETA1 installer cannot be used to
> manually create the partition scheme?
>
> 1) it doesn't accept "freebsd-swap" as partition type ("invalid
> argument")
> 2) it doesn't recognize that I have actually created a root (/) mount
> point; since it doesn't show mountpoints maybe it forgets the input
> from the dialog?
>
> The partition editor looks very rudimentary and feature-less. It
> really should show "space left" on the drive.

What is the rev you are using, as well as the arch? I've had no issues
ever with partitioning (less the limitations of the partitioner) on
numerous revs of 9, although all of my testing has been done on the
exact same arch. I also use guided partitioning, and partition entire
disk, then I go through and delete all the partitioning info, and start
from scratch (why I do this, I have no clue). As for size left, that's
something that really bothers me. I usually go through into command
line, and use gpart to set up my system instead.

I do not have BETA1 available right now on CD, but I do have BETA2 rev
225251. On this system I'm not able to replicate your issue (amd64). I
know I'm using a newer rev, but I've been using 9 for a long time now,
and I've yet to have an issue with the partitioner.

As for your second question, where did you create the root mount point
prior to the editor? Or was it still on the editor that you made it?

-Brandon Falk