Where to ask about a 7.2 bug, and debugging sys/queue.h errors

Charlie Martin crmartin at sgi.com
Thu Aug 25 21:36:02 UTC 2011

We're having a crash in some internal code running on FreeBSD 7.2
(specifically  7.2-PRERELEASE FreeBSD 7.2-PRERELEASE and yeah, I know
it's quite a bit behind) in which after 18-30 hours of running load
tests, the code panics with:

panic: Bad link elm 0xffffff0044c09600 next->prev != elm
cpuid = 0
KDB: stack backtrace:
db_trace_self_wrapper() at 0xffffffff8019119a = db_trace_self_wrapper+0x2a
panic() at 0xffffffff80307c72 = panic+0x182
devfs_populate_loop() at 0xffffffff802a43a8 = devfs_populate_loop+0x548

First question: where's the most appropriate place to ask about this
kind of bug on a back version.

Second: does this remind anyone of any bugs?  Googling came up with a
few somewhat similar things but hasn't provided much insight so far.

Third: I tried compiling with the sys/queue.h QUEUE_MACRO_DEBUG defined
in order to get more useful information from the panic.  The kernel
build fails in pmap.c when this macro is defined, giving an error saying
the CTASSERT macro is resolving to a negative array size.  Is there any
particular secret to using this macro (like, no one goes there any more?)

Thanks
--

Charles R. (Charlie) Martin
Senior Software Engineer