Phenom II 975 BE shows 0 celsius

Andriy Gapon avg at FreeBSD.org
Sun Aug 21 10:13:28 UTC 2011

on 02/08/2011 00:06 Jung-uk Kim said the following:
> On Monday 01 August 2011 04:10 pm, Andriy Gapon wrote:
>> on 01/08/2011 22:48 Jung-uk Kim said the following:
>>> I have mixed feeling about this because I own a system with such
>>> CPU/motherboard combo, too.  I also believe it works well but
>>> errata is errata.  If vendor says we shouldn't use it, then we
>>> shouldn't. In fact, I am just following Linux as an example here
>>> but I have no problem with turning this into a warning message,
>>> either.
>>
>> Let's cut a deal :-)
>> If we start using amdtemp for fan control, emergency system
>> shutdown or similar, then we follow the strict path.  Until then,
>> while we use amdtemp to amuse users with numbers, let's just print
>> a warning :-)
>
> Okay, here is the new patch (not tested on the affected system yet):
>
> http://people.freebsd.org/~jkim/amdtemp2.diff

Tested the patch - looks good!
One comment though: it seems that sensor_offset defaults to zero now.
Would it be a good idea to default it to what it previously used to be?
On my system the hardware reports the offset correctly (as verified by using
independent hardware monitoring logic in Super I/O), so defaulting it to zero is
kind of a regression.

--
Andriy Gapon