glabel on 9-BETA1

Andrey V. Elsukov bu7cher at yandex.ru
Wed Aug 17 04:17:17 UTC 2011

On 17.08.2011 0:10, Mark Saad wrote:
> root at blindness:~# glabel label rootfs ada0p4
> glabel: Can't store metadata on ada0p4: Operation not permitted.
>
> In 7.2 and prior there was a sysctl that could be tweaked to allow for
> this to work , kern.geom.debugflag set to 16 would allow this to work.
>
> So my question is this. Should there be any reason why "glabel label
> name device" on the root slice cause an issue
> when the slice is mounted rw ?
>
> Is this a bug ?

No. It isn't.
When you are doing `glabel label` you overwriting last sector of given
device with glabel's metadata. So you potentially can destroy some data
in it. Using kern.geom.debugflags=16 is a bad practice. The right way is
creating label before creation of file system and installing OS.
Also you can use UFS labels (see tunefs(8)).

--
WBR, Andrey V. Elsukov