[nvi-iconv]Call for test

Zhihao Yuan lichray at gmail.com
Sun Aug 14 20:06:02 UTC 2011

On Sun, Aug 14, 2011 at 10:39 AM, Zhihao Yuan <lichray at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi, hackers:
>
> My GSoC2011 project, "Multibyte Encoding Support in Nvi" is ready for
> testing. The proposal of the project is here:
> http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/proposal/review/google/gsoc2011/zy/1
>
> The project creates a multibyte fork of the BSD-licensed nvi editor.
> It adds only 1 dependence, libiconv,  to nvi-1.79, which presents in
> our base system currently. And the libiconv is included in -current's
> libc.
>
> The patch and the instruction of using the patch is at
> https://github.com/lichray/nvi2/wiki . Note that your -current box
> needs to be built WITH_ICONV=1 to include libiconv in libc. And such a
> knob enables iconv support in the new nvi at the same time.
>
> The patch will create contrib/nvi2, and it will not remove the unused
> contrib/nvi (patch(1) can not really remove files anyway).
>
> So for the next week, the feature set of the new nvi is frozen. I'll
> just wait for your testing reports and fix possible bugs. Thank you
> for giving me the opportunity to participate in GSoC.
>
> --
> Zhihao Yuan, nickname lichray
> The best way to predict the future is to invent it.
> 4BSD -- http://4bsd.biz/

Let me try to ``quickly'' explain how to involve into the testing.

First, download the patch from
https://github.com/downloads/lichray/nvi2/nvi2-freebsd-2011-08-14.diff.gz

If you want to test the new nvi with the libiconv in libc, you need a
-current src tree and a -current base system built WITH_ICONV=1.

If you want to test it with the libiconv in ports (evil, testing
only), you need either a -current or -stable src tree, and the port
converters/libiconv installed under /usr/local. You also need to apply
the additional patch included in the attachment *after* you applied
the nvi2-freebsd patch to your src tree.

After the src tree is patched, cd to usr.bin/vi under the src tree,

make WITH_ICONV=1

Now you can run the new nvi with ./nvi . If you want to replace the
system vi with this one, make WITH_ICONV=1 install

*NOTE*

FreeBSD's libncursesw only recognizes a subset of the locales which
are supported by libc. Which means, not all libc locales work. For
example, LC_CTYPE=zh_CN.GBK won't work; use zh_CN.eucCN instead.
Fortunately, UTF-8 locales work, whenever your X terminal enumerator
supports it.