cam / ata timeout limited to 2147 due to overflow bug?

Steven Hartland killing at multiplay.co.uk
Fri Aug 5 10:11:29 UTC 2011

Fri, Aug 05, 2011 at 12:02:19AM +0100, Steven Hartland wrote:
>> So I suspect that this is what's happening resulting in an extremely
>> small timeout instead of a large one. Now I know that passed in value
>> to the timeout is seconds * 1000 so we should be seeing 2148000
>> for ccb->ccb_h.timeout now multiply that by 1000 (hz) and your over
>> the int wrap point 2147483647.
>>
>> So instead of the wrap point being 2147483 seconds (24 days), I suspect
>> because of the way this is structured its actually 2147 seconds (26mins).
>>
>> If this is the case the fix is likely to be something like:-
>>  callout_reset(&slot->timeout, (int)(ccb->ccb_h.timeout * (hz / 2000)),
>
> It will give you 0 timeout for all values of hz that are lower than
> 2000: hz is int, so you'll get integer division.  Since ccb_h.timeout
> is u_int32_t, the proper way to handle this situation would be
> {{{
> (u_int64_t)ccb->ccb_h.timeout * (u_int32_t)hz)/2000
> }}}
> as long as the value of hz won't be greater than 2^32.

Ahh of course, was late ;-)

> Can you try the patch at
>  http://codelabs.ru/fbsd/patches/ahci/AHCI-properly-convert-CAM-timeout-to-ticks.diff
>
>> What I don't understand is why the /2000
>
> It gives (timeout_in_ticks)/2.  The code in ahci_timeout does the following:
> {{{
>        /* Check if slot was not being executed last time we checked. */
>        if (slot->state < AHCI_SLOT_EXECUTING) {
snip..

> So, my theory is that the first half of the timeout time is devoted
> to the transition from AHCI_SLOT_RUNNING -> AHCI_SLOT_EXECUTING and
> the second one is the transition from AHCI_SLOT_RUNNING -> TIMEOUT
> to give the whole process the duration of a full timeout.  However,
> judging by the code, if the slot won't start executing at the first
> invocation of ahci_timeout that was spawned by the callout armed in
> ahci_execute_transaction, we can have timeouts more than for the
> specified amount of time.  And if the slot will never start its
> execution, the callout will spin forever, unless I am missing something
> important here.
>
> May be Alexander can shed some light into this?

Interesting thanks for the explaination.

I've tried the patch and it a few cut and paste errors, which I've fixed,
and confirmed it works as expected, so thanks for that :)

There's also a load more drivers with the same issue so I've gone through
and fixed all the occurances I can find. Here's the updated patch:-
http://blog.multiplay.co.uk/dropzone/freebsd/ccb_timeout.patch

    Regards
    Steve