freeBSD8.2: getgrgid() works only for wheel group.

Rekhesh Mohan reks at iiap.res.in
Wed Aug 3 13:11:41 UTC 2011

Dear Hackers,

I'm trying to install mailman on a freeBSD 8.2 box. Mailman allows only
the apache-www group to run its CGI scripts and only the mail group can
execute some of the mailing list related functionalities. Mailman is
using  getgrgid() to check the group name. This is failing on me.

It appears that only the wheel group members are allowed to use
getgrgid() on my machine. getgrgid() returns (null) for others. I was
wondering if anyone else has faced this situation.

Let me know.. Thanks in advance!

--R