[RELEASE] New Boot-Loader Menu

Devin Teske dteske at vicor.com
Fri Apr 29 19:16:47 UTC 2011

Glad you asked. This couldn't be easier.

Open up `/boot/menu.rc' and look for the following lines (LINE 9-10):

	\ Customizations
	set logo="orb"

Feel free to play with any of the following drop-in replacements:

	set logo="beastie"
	set logo="beastiebw"
	set logo="fbsdbw"
	set logo="orb"
	set logo="orbbw"

Simply deleting the line or comment it out (by adding "\ " -- backslash-space -- to the beginning of the line) is equivalent to setting logo to "beastie". Here's a short explanation of each value:

	NAME		DESCRIPTION
	beastie		Color ``Helper Daemon'' mascot (19 rows x 34 columns)
	beastiebw	B/W ``Helper Daemon'' mascot (19 rows x 34 columns)
	fbsdbw		"FreeBSD" logo in B/W (13 rows x 21 columns)
	orb		Color ``Orb'' mascot (15 rows x 30 columns)
	orbbw		B/W ``Orb'' mascot (15 rows x 30 columns)

I'm not sure what you meant by "Beastie ASCII" image, but I think you're either looking for "beastie" or "fbsdbw".

You should have to, but if you need to, you can add:

	set logoX=X
	set logoY=Y

to force the row/column placement of beastie.
--
Devin