scd and mcd

Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Sat Apr 23 21:46:28 UTC 2011

On Apr 23, 2011, at 12:02 PM, Andrew Lankford wrote:
> While we're talking about recent MFC's for SATA hardware (works for me, but I still need the old ata drivers for my cdrom), is anyone out there really still using the mcd (fbsd 1.0 vintage) and scd (2.0.5) drivers?

mcd and scd are ISA-only devices.  ISA expansion bus only.  ISA slots disappeared off Mobos about 4 years ago entirely.  PATA/IDE connectors have been built into mobos for the past 15ish years.  They were important for the 386 (now not supported) and 486 machines.  Since the 486 machines in question maxed out at 32MB, and 8.x has trouble running in 32MB on x86, I'm guessing there aren't too many 486 SX/DX machines running 8.x.

Therefore, I'd bet money that neither mcd nor scd have attached on any machine running 8.x :)

Warner