no KLD symbols in dtrace?

Chuck Tuffli ctuffli at gmail.com
Fri Apr 22 02:01:26 UTC 2011

(Note I'm new to DTrace, so this may be ignorance on my part)

I have re-built a stock 8.2 kernel and enabled dtrace as per the
handbook (including WITH_CTF=1) and have built a kld also using
WITH_CTF=1. When I run the following

dtrace -n"bus_release_resource:entry { stack(); }"

the output looks like
  0  33759       bus_release_resource:entry
              0xffffffff813db04e
              0xffffffff813db091
              kernel`device_detach+0x84
              kernel`driver_module_handler+0x37c
              kernel`module_unload+0x49
              kernel`linker_file_unload+0x178
              kernel`kern_kldunload+0x117
              kernel`syscallenter+0x23d
              kernel`syscall+0x4b
              kernel`0xffffffff808c5572

where the 0xffffffff813dbXXX addresses correspond to my kld. But I was
expecting to see symbolic names instead of addresses. Is there
something else I need to do to add the kld's symbols to the system?
TIA.

---chuck