ifconfig output: ipv4 netmask format

Damien Fleuriot ml at my.gd
Sat Apr 9 12:07:14 UTC 2011

On 4/9/11 7:33 AM, Garrett Cooper wrote:

> Although I see the value of your and Sergey's argument, the problem is
> that it may cause unexpected breakage for other third parties that
> depend on a particular behavior in FreeBSD as Bjoern and others have
> suggested; I have a script at least that does properly parse out the
> hex output in order to set IPs properly with ipmitool, and I would be
> perturbed to have to hack around this further in my script.
>
> Thanks,
> -Garrett

If the proposed change was made an option via a knob as has been
suggested, that would leave your script unscathed.

One might or might not like the option, and then choose to use it or
disregard it.

Given that one can configure their interfaces by giving a CIDR notation
(like: ifconfig re0 inet 192.168.0.1/24) , it makes sense that one
should be able to output the CIDR notation as well.

I for one see absolutely no valid reason why the change should be
rejected if it doesn't change ifconfig's default behaviour and doesn't
cause any regression ?

A valid reason would be: nobody wants it.
But then, some people do seem to want it.

I would like this option really, would prolly alias it while I'm at it.