retry mounting with ro when rw fails

Andriy Gapon avg at FreeBSD.org
Fri Apr 8 11:48:37 UTC 2011

on 08/04/2011 05:16 Garrett Cooper said the following:
>     Yeah. It seems like something else like EINVAL (just an example --
> probably a bad one) would be better. Also, please be careful as
> returning ENODEV seems to be UFS-specific:

I wonder how you arrived at that conclusion.
See intro(2) or grep the sources.

>      The following errors can occur for a ufs file system mount:
>
>      [ENODEV]           A component of ufs_args fspec does not exist.

That documented specific use of ENODEV in UFS doesn't make ENODEV UFS-specific.
Besides I don't ENODEV anywhere under sys/ufs.

>     Also, Tom Rhodes has a similar change to what I suggested on the
> backburner, but it hasn't been 100% fleshed out yet.

I like that approach too.  It has its advantages.
But I don't give up yet on my suggestion.

--
Andriy Gapon