sysctl for querying kmem_map->size

Garrett Cooper gcooper at FreeBSD.org
Thu Sep 30 22:25:35 UTC 2010

On Thu, Sep 30, 2010 at 1:26 PM, Andriy Gapon <avg at icyb.net.ua> wrote:
> on 30/09/2010 21:52 Garrett Cooper said the following:
>> On Thu, Sep 30, 2010 at 10:17 AM, Andriy Gapon <avg at icyb.net.ua> wrote:
>>>
>>> Here's a patch that adds a sysctl for querying kmem_map->size, which may be useful
>>> for system state/resources monitoring:
>>> http://people.freebsd.org/~avg/sysctl-kmem_map_size.diff
>>>
>>> I am quite unsure about sizeof(kmem_map->size) == sizeof(int) hack, but I couldn't
>>> think of other way to decide whether to use SYSCTL_ADD_UINT or SYSCTL_ADD_ULONG
>>> depending on real type behind vm_size_t.
>>
>>     Is the base value of the field size_t? If so, then it's ulong on
>> 64-bit archs and uint on 32-bit archs. Maybe it's a good time then to
>
> No, it's vm_size_t, but it's defined similarly to size_t I guess:
> vm_size_t -> __vm_size_t -> {__uint32_t or __uint64_t depending on arch}

    Well... that's basically size_t right? At first inspection it
seems silly to define it as __uint32_t or __uint64_t if it's really
the same thing (in theory) as __size_t . Of course the vmem folks
(like alc@) might have more context as to why things were done this
way.

>> actually get the sysctl and tunables work that I started on into base.
>> I have a functioning and tested copy of the tunables work, but I'll
>> need to do similar for the sysctls as well (des@ and I kind of got out
>> of sync a few months back).
>
> I believe that this is the first time I hear about this project.

    It wasn't an official project. It was more or less an email thread
that sort of turned into a challenge, which turned into a project :) :