Bumping MAXCPU on amd64?

Curtis Penner curtis.penner2 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 22 17:33:46 UTC 2010

MAXCPU at 32 has been good in the 32bit days.  Soon there will be (if
not already) systems that will have 16cores/socket or more, and
motherboards that have 4 sockets or more.  Combining this with
hyper-threading, you have gone significantly beyond the limits of
feasible server.

Bumping the number now is not feasible.  But in release 9+ or 10, this
number could be bumped to something in the order of 1024 or more.  This
will not be easy as there are considerable performance and compatibility
problems.  But with Moore's law it will happen, and freeBSD will need to
adapt to stay relevant.

Curtis Penner