How to disallow logout

Charlie Kester corky1951 at comcast.net
Fri Sep 10 23:26:33 UTC 2010

On Fri 10 Sep 2010 at 10:09:20 PDT Aryeh Friedman wrote:
>The problem with that is our version control system (devel/aegis)
>purposely does not allow arbitary checkins... there is a whole
>procedure of you have to prove it compiles and passes at least one new
>test and then an other person needs to review the change and then and
>only then can it be checked in (and even here you need to repeat the
>proof of build and one new test [same as the ones above] to ensure
>that passing the test was not a fluke of your local environment)...
>this project is setup so I play all 3 roles on it but all three phases
>have to be formally done to check it in... btw the whole goal here
>(unlike non-atomic VCS's like SVN [git does it to some extent] the
>goal here is to make sure that nothing breaks the baseline [the fully
>tested and reviewed repo]).

Is this something for your personal use, or are you looking for a
solution that can be deployed throughout your company?

If the latter, it seems to me that by making it more onerous to logout,
you're simply going to be encouraging more people to leave their desks
without logging out. Do you have a plan for securing their unattended
but still logged-in workstations?

Even if you do secure the workstations, what have you actually achieved?
Somebody could still check out some files, go home for the weekend, then
call in sick on Monday and Tuesday.  The files are checked out all this
time, and as far as I can see, the situation is no better than if he'd
logged out Friday afternoon without checking in the files.

You should probably think about these scenarios even if you were
intending to implement this for your personal use only.