System freezes unexpectly

Davide Italiano davide.italiano at gmail.com
Wed Sep 1 01:29:28 UTC 2010

On 31/08/10 07:53, John Baldwin wrote:
> On Monday, August 30, 2010 12:45:40 pm Garrett Cooper wrote:
> > On Mon, Aug 30, 2010 at 9:24 AM, Davide Italiano
> > <davide.italiano at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > removing ~/.mozilla works fine. I think that problem's related to
> > > add-on Xmarks I've been installer or to "Restore session"
> > > functionality
> >
> > It would have been interesting to capture what `froze' the machine, in
> > particular because it could have been a valuable bug for either
> > Mozilla to capture and fix, or for us to capture and fix. Unless your
> > machine doesn't meet the hardware requirements, I don't see a reason
> > why a userland application should lock up a system.
> >
> > There are other ways you can debug this further, using -safe-mode as a
> > next step, then choose to not restore the last session (which is
> > available from within the javascript settings file -- nsPrefs.js?).
>
> If only firefox is frozen, then you can always ssh in from another machine and
> use top/ps, etc., or even gdb on the firefox process itself.
>
> --
> John Baldwin

I tried to ssh from another machine or ping but I can't perform this operation (hostname lookup failure).
I also noticed that the cause of the problem is pretty surely Xmarks. So, if I remove ~/.mozilla firefox3 works again. When I reinstall Xmarks the system freezes.
Attilio Rao (rookie), an italian kernel developer suggest me to recompile the kernel using the options, KDB, DDB, GDB, KDB_UNATTENDED (in particular the last one, that reboot the machine if a panic occurs), but I didn't obtain nothin' useful, because isn't a panic (the machine doesn't reboot) neither dmesg is more verbose about the problem. I also tried to recompile firefox from ports w/ DEBUG flag enable, but I don't see anythin' good launching firefox from xterm.

Regards

Davide