Space character in rc.conf variable

Harald Servat redcrash at gmail.com
Sat Oct 30 19:27:46 UTC 2010

Hello -hackers,

  (although this is a network topic, I think this may be the appropiate list
to ask. If you think it's not, please, tell me)

  I'm trying to configure my wifi SSID within /etc/rc.conf in FreeBSD 8.1
amd64 , but I've found that I'm unable to get it working at boot time
(although I can do it after boot in cmd line).

  My SSID has an space character and I don't know how to deal with it. So my
question is easy, how do I add an space in the SSID? I've tried wrapping the
SSID using \" , \' also adding \(space), changing " for ' and others without
success.

  As an example my rc.conf entry looks like
    ifconfig_wlan0="ssid SSID WITH SPACE dhcp"
  and after booting I see that ifconfig tried to connect to SSID instead to
"SSID WITH SPACE".

  As I said, if I run ifconfig wlan0 ssid "SSID WITH SPACE" from the command
line, works fine.

  Any clues on how to solve this in rc.conf?

Thank you very much!!