Generating userland debugging symbols

Ed Maste emaste at freebsd.org
Sat Oct 30 14:41:36 UTC 2010

On Fri, Oct 29, 2010 at 09:58:26PM -0400, Mark Johnston wrote:

> On Sat, Oct 30, 2010 at 02:39:00AM +0300, Kostik Belousov wrote:
> > I do think that something like this would be useful. But, shouldn't
> > the DEBUG_FLAGS be also involved in the patch ? The goal would be
> > to have debug symbols for userland staff. esp. the libraries,
> > handled in a similar manner to kernel symbols.
> >
> > But I do like the intent of keeping the symbols in the separate directory.
>
> Yes, you're right. What I would probably do is have make(1) set
> DEBUG_FLAGS=-g automatically if WITH_DEBUG_SYMBOLS is defined in
> /etc/src.conf. I've been using the source tree at my work, which
> has another Makefile and some other scripts on top of the FreeBSD build
> system, so they're probably doing some things I don't know about. Based
> on what I've seen however, it shouldn't be too much work to port the
> necessary changes over.

Ahh yes, the way it was being done (before the change to build .symbols
files) is that the buildworld was done using a make.conf with
DEBUG_FLAGS=-g while the installworld omitted it; the /usr/obj tree then
had the debug information but the installed binaries and libraries did
not.  It looks like the .symbols change built on top of this.

-Ed