Userland debug symbols directory

Ed Maste emaste at freebsd.org
Sat Nov 6 18:04:22 UTC 2010

On Sat, Nov 06, 2010 at 07:56:03PM +0200, Kostik Belousov wrote:

> On Sat, Nov 06, 2010 at 01:36:20PM -0400, Ed Maste wrote:
> > On Fri, Nov 05, 2010 at 10:45:19PM +0200, Gleb Kurtsou wrote:
> >
> > > I like the idea a lot, but why not to leave symbol files in /usr/obj,
> >
> > The application where this is most useful (and why we implemented it
> > originally) is the case where /usr/obj isn't available - for instance,
> > a binary installation other than where the source tree was built.  If
> > you're going to keep /usr/obj around anyway then you can get most of
> > the benefit by just keeping the unstripped binaries / libs in there,
> > no?
> Not that easy, since you have to arrange to use libraries from obj/,
> by LD_LIBRARY_PATH etc.
>
> I fully support the work to install symbol files, and it should go
> into /usr, might be /usr/lib/debug. Possibly, some change to gdb (config)
> is required.

Yeah, I just mean that using LD_LIBRARY_PATH or whatever is still a lot
easier than realizing you don't have the debug info at all, and trying
to rebuild an identical binary or library with debug.

I definitely want the changes to build and install the symbol files in
the FreeBSD tree.  I don't have a huge concern over the exact path we
pick.

-Ed