DTrace and CTF data

Artem Belevich fbsdlist at src.cx
Sun May 30 20:51:55 UTC 2010

You may be confusing CTF info and the probes. Those are different things.

CTF info just describes data types and variable/function location.
DTrace later uses it to figure out where and how to install the
probes.

Probes are installed dynamically, at runtime when DTrace program is
run. That's why you see it with kgdb on the live kernel once probe has
been installed.
DTrace does not modify your original kernel binary, so you will not
see any probes there.

--Artem