Announcing PathDB

Alexander Leidinger netchild at FreeBSD.org
Sat May 29 19:07:52 UTC 2010

On Sat, 29 May 2010 23:17:40 +0700 "C. Bergström"
<cbergstrom at pathscale.com> wrote:

> Thordur I Bjornsson wrote:
> >> PathScale is slowly open sourcing and porting some of our core
> >> software technology and thought the BSD community might be
> >> interested in PathDB.  Months ago we gave a few FBSD developers

You may want to introduce what it is (people which read careful enough
may assume it is a debugger) and explain why it is better than the
competition.

> Can someone in the FreeBSD community please talk with this guy.  If
> you're going to send a snotty email at least be brave enough to do it
> publicly..

He is for sure not one of the FreeBSD committers. Maybe a troll, so it
may be better to just ignore him.

> fwiw.. I never said free anywhere in my email..  It's assumed testing
> has a reciprocal benefit assuming we fix bugs.  I've spoken with 5-10
> people in the BSD community and most are supportive of our idea..
> They of course wanted the BSD license from the start, but to me this
> is a conservative approach which I saw as a win/win..  So honestly am
> I on crack?

I don't think your offer to relicense is bad, I just think your
introduction of it could have been a little bit more verbose (tell
the people something to make them want to have a look at it).

Bye,
Alexander.