Custom USB layout & sysinstall (Starting FIXIT)

Domagoj S. rank1seeker at gmail.com
Fri May 28 00:27:24 UTC 2010

On Fri, May 28, 2010 at 1:02 AM, Garrett Cooper <yanefbsd at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 3:53 PM, none none <rank1seeker at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Still no answer?
>>
>> Hey, there is also a thread:
>> http://forums.freebsd.org/showthread.php?t=14059
>
> Hate to say but you're doing something unsupported, so unless you walk
> through the process by yourself to figure out where things are going
> wrong, I'm not sure others have the time to help you in this endeavor.

I did found and posted code snippet that is responsible for detecting devices.
But I have no C lang knowledge needed to do any coding.
I know PHP and JS, ..., so have been observing patterns and echo-ed
text/strings to terminal

> sysinstall(8) assumes a custom environment and setup; trying to
> unravel it would be painful, so I don't suggest doing that.

sysinstall(8) expects precise enviroment.
Anything deviating from it's hardcoded path is being ignored.

> If you're going to roll your own solution you might as well roll the entire
> thing from scratch.
>
> Thanks,
> -Garrett

My solution is to get rid of sysinstall.
Idealy, if sysinstall would be skipped upon boot and Fixit# started immediately

I have a blueprint in my head, with beginning, that I am hammering
here, but without knowledge to code it.

> With respect to your "Still no answer" message I'm not sure what
> you're expecting for an answer.  You answer yourself above.

I expected a patch, an .diff, which I would apply to
/usr/src/usr.sbin/sysinstall/...
And finally recompile it.

> The customizations you're doing that you refer to as "B" do indeed
> confuse sysinstall's disk recognition semantics.  As part of
> your customizations you'll need to adjust sysinstall's disk
> recognition semantics to understand the layout you are setting
> up.  I'm not quite sure what else you are expecting.

Someone, to do that for me and handed over, to me, on a silver plate.
I am not a FreeBSD dev. Hell, I've just entered this list and this is
my first "topic".,

>  I can't think of some easy fix that would get you past the problem you
> are experiencing without some hacking done to sysinstall.  I'm
> also not sure if that sort of hacking would be suitable for
> the general case (what works now).
>
> - --
>                                                Ken Smith

I think it would be, as it would just look in a extended way for devices.
Thus, covering old ones and satisfying my needs/aims

Domagoj S.