GSoC: BSD text tools

Ben Fiedler bfiedler at asu.edu
Mon May 24 07:38:02 UTC 2010

I'll be working on replacing groff with mdocml (mandoc) in the system base
(and yes, I am aware of Gordon's work on a man
replacement<http://people.freebsd.org/%7Egordon/man.sh>).
In addition, I will be creating or (more likely) porting BSD-ish licensed
feature-complete replacements for: diff, sort, sdiff, diff3, also moving
them into the base (and yes, I know of the bsddiff and bsdsort ports).
Finally, I will perform some benchmark comparisons between these new tools
and their GNU counterparts.

More info is available at my project page:
http://wiki.freebsd.org/SOC2010BenFiedler

Any feedback or questions are most welcome.

Thanks,

-Ben