bad RAM? prove it with a crash dump?

Sean C. Farley scf at FreeBSD.org
Thu May 6 17:10:35 UTC 2010

On Thu, 6 May 2010, Atom Smasher wrote:

> i suspect i've got bad RAM but memtest has run through several dozen
> iterations without a problem. my (3 year old) laptop will run for a
> few days or weeks and then crash/freeze/hang. i've enabled crash dumps
> and i'm wondering if/how the dump might be able to (dis)prove that the
> RAM is bad.  any ideas?
>
> thanks...

Do not discount other hardware problems:  video cards, bad capacitors
and power supplies.  Sadly, I mention these as a subset of my
experience.  :(  I have even had a faulty left mouse button that would
lock my X server (many years ago).  While holding the button down
(scrolling through a menu), the mouse would release and acquire too
quickly for the server.

Unfortunately, it is harder to find the problem in a laptop where you
cannot easily (if at all) switch out pieces of hardware to find the
problem.

Have you investigated whether or not the laptop is overheating?

Sean
--
scf at FreeBSD.org